At Stanford Since
Ph.D. & M. A. Stanford University; B.A. Harvard University
- Modern Eastern Europe
- Modern Poland
- Modern Russia/Soviet Union
- Women and War
- Gender and Nationality
- Twentieth Century Eastern Europe
- Approaches to Women and War
- East European Women and War in the Twentieth Century
- War and Women in Russia
- The Woman Question in Modern Russia
- Circles of Hell: Poland in World War II
- Poles and Jews
- Exile and Identity: Polish Women in the Soviet Union during World War II (Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, 2002).
- "Gender and Antisemitism in Wartime Soviet Exile," in Antisemitism and Its Opponents in Modern Poland, ed. Robert Blobaum (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2005).
- “The Nation's Pain and Women's Shame: Polish Women and Wartime Violence,” in Gender and War in Eastern Europe, ed. Nancy Wingfield and Maria Bucur (Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, forthcoming 2006).
- "'You Can't Even Call them Women': Poles and 'Others' in Soviet Exile during World War II," Contemporary European History Vol. 10, no. 3 (November 2001): 463-80.
- "Albania Adrift on Post-Communist Promises," San Jose Mercury News (26 Nov. 2000).
- Review of Kate Brown, A Biography of No Place: From Ethnic Borderland to Soviet Heartland in American Historical Review Vol. 110, No. 2 (April 2005): 589-90.
- Review of Choi Chatterjee, Celebrating Women: Gender, Festival Culture, and Bolshevik Ideology, 1910-39 and Wendy Goldman, Women at the Gates: Gender and Industry in Stalin’s Russia in Journal of Modern History Vol. 77, No. 1 (2005): 260-62.
- Review of Elizabeth Harvey, Women in the Nazi East: Agents and Witnesses of Germanization in Polish Review Vol. XLIX, no. 3 (2004): 999-1001.
- Review of Keith Sword, Deportation and Exile: Poles in the Soviet Union, 1939-1948 in Slavic Review Vol. 55, No. 2 (Summer 1996): 473-74.
Awards and Fellowships
- Institute for Human Sciences, Vienna, AUSTRIA, Visiting Fellowship, Summer 2005.
- University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Junior Faculty Development Award, Fall 1999.
- American Council of Learned Societies/Social Science Research Council Joint Committee on Eastern Europe, Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1997-98.
- Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace, Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Summer 1996 and 1997.
- Center for International Security and Arms Control, MacArthur Foundation Fellowship, 1994-1995.
- American Association of University Women, American Fellowship, 1993-1994.
- Kosciuszko Foundation, Domestic Scholarship, 1993-94.
- Humanities Center, Stanford University, Graduate Fellowship, 1991-1992.