Selected publications and conference papers:
- “Wanqing Zhongmian Bianjie Wenti Zhanduan (The Sino-Burmese Border Dispute in the Late Qing),” Paper presented at the Center for Chinese Studies, National Central Library, Taipei, Taiwan, August 21, 2012.
- “Nationalist Protests in China: a form of dissent?,” Paper presented at the Beijing International Society, Embassy of Mongolia, Beijing, China, March 22, 2012.
- “Erasing Ambiguity from the Map: Border Demarcation and Territorial Sovereignty in Yunnan during the Late Qing,” Paper presented at the Association of Asian Studies Annual Conference, Toronto, March 17, 2012.
- Critical Han Studies: Understanding the Largest Ethnic Group on Earth. (California: University of California Press, 2012). (Co-editor with Thomas Mullaney, James Leibold and Stephane Gros)
- “China’s appetite a boost for potash,” The Globe and Mail, July 29, 2005, B12.
- “Analysis: Liberated by the Evening News? On Miao and Modernity,” China Review, Great Britain-China Centre, Summer 2004, Issue 29, 10-11.
- Baxi Yu Zhongguo: Shijie Zhixu Biandongzhong de shuangfang guanxi (Brazil and China: Bilateral Relations in the Changing World Order). Trans. by Zhang Baoyu and Lu Yinchun. (Beijing: Shijie Zhishi Chubanshe, 2001). (Co-author and co-editor with Janice Theodoro)
- “A Dimensão Histórica das Relações Sino-Brasileiras,” Tempo Brasileiro, Vol. 137 (1999), 85-98.
- “História da Imigração Japonesa e Chinesa ao Brasil (The History of Japanese and Chinese Immigration to Brazil),” Paper presented at the Portuguese Studies Center, Beijing Foreign Studies University, May 1998.
- “Japanese and Chinese Immigration to Brazil: a Comparative Analysis,” Paper presented at the Embassy of Brazil, Beijing, November 1997.