Admissions for Coterminal MA Program
Application deadline for Spring Quarter 2020-21: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 (this is a hard deadline, not a postmark deadline)
Each year the department admits a limited number of undergraduates to its program leading to a co-terminal BA and MA degree in History. Some students apply in their junior year and complete their MA studies in their fourth year at Stanford. Others apply in their senior year, planning their MA coursework for their fifth year at Stanford.
Applicants must meet the same general standards as those seeking admission to the MA program. The requirements are as follows:
- Coterminal Application
- Statement of Purpose
- 1 Copy of Official Transcripts (Official Stanford transcript is requested and submitted through the online application. DO NOT request an official paper transcript from the Registrar's Office.)
- 1 Writing Sample on a Historic Topic (10-25 pages)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (2 must be from History Faculty)
- Preliminary Program Proposal
- Coterminal course transfer information
- GRE (general): Stanford's ETS institutional code is 4704
- Application fee (to be billed by the University)
Students from departments other than History should have done sufficient work in History. Students should be done with their undergraduate major by the start of the program. Conferral of the BA is restricted the quarter after admission of the co-terminal program. For instance, if admission is for Spring quarter, conferral of the BA must be for Spring quarter or later.
Please keep in mind that courses cannot be "double-counted" towards both degrees. For more information about the Co-terminal Program, please refer to the Registrar's web page: Coterminal Online Application