How to Apply
For the terminal MA program
Application deadline for Autumn 2021-22: Tuesday, December 1, 2020, midnight EST (this is a hard deadline, not a postmark deadline).
Admission to the History Graduate Programs are for Autumn quarter only.
Please note, the South Asia field is not accepting applications for the 2021-22 academic year.
- Statement of Purpose (included in Application)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- *2 Copies of Official Transcripts from each University/College attended
- 1 Writing Sample on a Historic Topic (10-25 pages; sent via Stanford's online application system only)
- Official GRE scores sent via ETS
- TOEFL for all international applicants (whose primary language is not English) sent via ETS
- Application fee $125 (subject to change)
*Official Transcripts: Transcripts are required from all prior college level schools attended for at least one year. A scanned copy of the official transcript is submitted as part of the online application. Please do not mail transcripts to the department. Our department will only be asking students offered admission to submit official transcripts.
To apply online and/or to obtain a Guide to Graduate Admissions, please see the following web site:
All application material is available online. Unfortunately, there is no information sent out in mailings.
Knight-Hennessy Scholars is designed to build a multidisciplinary community of Stanford graduate students dedicated to finding creative solutions to the world's greatest challenges. The program awards up to 100 high-achieving students every year with full funding to pursue a graduate education at Stanford, including the terminal Master's and PhD in History. To be considered, you must apply to Knight-Hennessy Scholars by October 14, 2020, and separately apply to the History department by December 1, 2020.
Browse the most recent publications from our faculty members.