For students enrolled in the terminal or coterminal MA** programs.
- students must have an advisor who will approve their program of study
- 45 units or more (at least 35 of the 45 units must be listed as History courses) for a total minimum of 9 courses are required for the M.A.
- 25 units or more in History courses must be at the graduate level (300 level or above), including one graduate research seminar (400-level, not directed research); 15 of these units must be within a single Ph.D. major field; a maximum of 10 units can be Directed Reading (399W) so long as it involves writing and is taken for a letter grade.
- up to 10 units may be non-History (current interpretation of this rule: study of a "difficult" foreign language may be counted; otherwise these must be graduate level)
- students who take undergraduate courses should expect to fulfill requirements appropriate to graduate study, at the discretion of the instructor
A program proposal is due in the first quarter to the Graduate Program Coordinator.
**The Coterminal MA program is only available to current Stanford undergraduates.
Coterminal students should apply online to graduate in early April for Spring Quarter.
Browse the most recent publications from our faculty members.