Event Funding & Support Requests
We organize workshops, reading groups, conferences, classroom visits, and stand-alone events in order to advance research, teaching, and community-building in History at Stanford University. To request funding or nominal (no-cost) co-sponsorship for your Stanford event, please review the information below and submit your request at this link.
Funding Request Categories & Application Deadlines:
- Workshop Series are led by History Department faculty members in collaboration with History graduate students. They bring together Stanford History affiliates to present and discuss their ongoing research. Sessions may include presentations by external speakers. Workshops are expected to meet at least 3 times per academic year. The Department provides extensive staff support and/or up to $5,000. Application deadline: June 15
- Reading Groups are led by History graduate students in consultation with the History faculty members to help with the graduate student professionalization and growth. They bring together a small group of History Department graduate students and faculty members to deeply engage with a particular topic and discuss publications. Faculty and graduate students from other departments may also participate in the reading groups; the majority should however be comprised of History graduate students due to funding restrictions. Reading groups are expected to meet at least 3 times per academic year. The Department provides up to $2,000 to cover reading materials, catering costs, and honoraria (as relevant). Organizers are encouraged to utilize digital resources that are available for free via the Stanford Libraries. Application deadline: June 15
- Conferences bring together multiple speakers for a one-day event. The Department provides extensive staff support and/or up to $2,000. Application deadline: At least one academic year prior to the proposed conference date.
- Classroom visits bring a guest lecturer to enrich the intellectual breadth of a History Department course. The Department provides up to $250 per lecturer. Application deadline: At least three months prior to the proposed event date.
- Stand-alone Events bring an external speaker for a one-time speaking engagement. The Department provides extensive staff support and/or up to $500. Application Deadline: At least three months prior to the proposed event date.
- Nominal Co-sponsorship can be requested for events organized by Stanford units and have relevance to the research & teaching conducted in the department. The Department circulates the event information to its affiliates without providing further logistical and financial support. Application Deadline: At least two weeks prior the event date.
Review Process & Expectations from the Organizers:
A committee comprised of History faculty members and staff review the applications. The committee may decline to review late applications due to the budgeting and planning timelines.
Event organizers are responsible for keeping track of the expenses and balancing the proposed budget in collaboration with the department's Finance Manager and Events & Communications Coordinator. They will also manage the group mailing lists (as applicable), and will provide clear supporting documentation to process the event expenses.
Due to budgetary constraints, applicants are encouraged to secure funding from other Stanford units and/or to use their faculty research accounts (as applicable) to cover anticipated costs.
Browse the most recent publications from our faculty members.